Doctoral Placement for Funded-PhD Students
The V&A is delighted to announce eight PhD placement opportunities designed by V&A staff members for funded PhD researchers.
The closing date for applications is 23rd June 2023
The V&A is a family of art, design and performance museums, where everyone is invited to enjoy the power of creativity. It has long been a research leader in the fields of art, design, performance, conservation, conservation science and collections management, and at the forefront of interdisciplinary, object-led, museum-based teaching, research and applied inquiry. The V&A has hosted PhD students for well over 20 years and currently hosts a large community of doctoral students from a range of different schemes as well as the History of Design Postgraduate Programme in collaboration with the Royal College of Art.
To provide opportunities for early-career training for PhD students, the V&A has made available a range of doctoral placements based in collections departments, archives, the National Art Library, research, and collections care and access. Each placement is a discrete project designed by members of V&A staff (who will also act as the placement’s supervisor), involving collaborative as well as independent research. The placements contribute to live research projects and existing priorities, and their outputs and value to the Museum are varied; projects may lead to new insights into our collections and archives, influence Museum policy and procedures, contribute to public engagement and/or support funded projects. In addition to the on-the-job experience of each placement and mentoring from supervisors, doctoral placement students will have access to the Museum’s wider range of workshops, talks and postgraduate training events/opportunities, alongside a bespoke training package designed for the placement student cohort.
- Research into V&A’s Collection of Pugin Drawings
- Provenance of V&A South Asian Collections
- Investigation into Museum Object Photography
- Women Artists in V&A Paintings and Drawings Collection
- Transcription of Henry Cole’s Diaries
- Jewish Dealers and the V&A Ceramics Collections
- Royal Photographic Society Archive
- 19th – Century British Ceramic Transfer Prints and Designs
Placements are open to students studying at a UK university (domestic or international students) on a funded PhD.
Applicants must be in receipt of a stipend for the duration of the placement that is at least equivalent to the UKRI national minimum doctoral rate.
- Placements will be hosted at the V&A’s South Kensington site, and where the project allows, there is scope for some remote work.
- Each placement will begin between September 25th and October 23rd 2023, and is between 3 and 6 month long, with a variety of full-time and part-time options; please see the individual adverts for more detail.
Please go to the V&A Vacancies
page for detail on each of the individual placements on offer, as well as a full set of guidelines on eligibility and the application process.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with the V&A’s Postgraduate Programmes Coordinator (email@example.com).