A Qualitative Study of the Reception of the Literary Arts and its Implications for Public Funding for Writing in the Midlands and Beyond
Collaborative doctoral research between Birmingham City University & Writing West Midlands.
Doche, A. (Forthcoming, 2021). Dialogic Strategies and Outcomes in and Around Julian Barnes's The Sense of an Ending: A Linguistic-Stylistic Analysis (Master's thesis). Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3, Lyon, France.
Doche, A. (2020, May 13). Review of the book 492 Confessions d'un tueur à gages, by K. Cavalcanti. La Villa Gillet. Retrieved from https://www.villagillet.net/entrez-dans-la-villa/492-par-amelie-doche/.
Le MédiaPhi, 2018-19, 4 poems: 'Le Corps' (19), 'Ex-ducere: un slam' (20), 'Dé-tendre' (21) & 'Anesthésie' (22).
Le Passe-Murailles, 2018, 1 poem: 'L'isolement est un long séjour' (75).
- Forthcoming 2020, November 23-25. An APPRAISAL analysis of online reading responses to Julian Barnes's The Sense of an Ending [Conference paper]. Digital Practices: Reading, Writing and Evaluation on the Web. University of Basel, Switzerland. (Online).
- 2020, August 10-11. On re-presentations and emotions: A study of metaphorical and physiognomic expressions in Sylvia Plath's Elm. [Conference paper]. Memory, Affects and Emotions: International Interdisciplinary Conference. University of Gdańsk, Poland. (Online).
- 2020, July 8-10. Literary authenticity and guided interpretations in Julian Barnes's fiction. [Conference paper]. 2nd International Interdisciplinary Conference: Freedom and Authenticity. University of Gdańsk, Poland. (Online).
- 2019, December 4. Which linguistic features make Julian Barnes's The Sense of an Ending feel cerebral? A corpus-based stylistic analysis. [Poster presentation]. University of Georgia Postgraduate Linguistics Conference, Athens, USA.
Public Engagement & Impact
- August 2020 - Present: Peer-Review Editor for the Journal of Languages, Texts & Society (LTS), University of Nottingham.
- 11th August 2020: Panel Chair, session V. Memory, Affects and Emotions: International Interdisciplinary Conference. University of Gdańsk, Poland. (Online).
Literature & Literary Translation
- Oct. 2019 - March 2020: Student Judge for the Jean Moulin University Lyon 3 Caméléon Literary Translation Prize. The 2019-20 edition rewarded the best literary translation from contemporary Irish literature into French.
- Oct. 2018 - March 2019: Student Judge for the Jean Moulin University Lyon 3 Caméléon Literary Translation Prize. The 2018-19 edition rewarded the best literary translation from contemporary Polish literature into French.
- May 2018: Session Moderator at the 'Assises Internationales du Roman', Lyon's major literary festival facilitated by The Villa Gillet.
Other Research Interests
Linguistics & Literature
- (Systemic Functional) Discourse Analysis
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Poetry and Mental Health
- Socio-Philosophical Approaches to Power, Legitimacy, and their Relationship
- Geneaology of Ideas
- MRes English Linguistics, Literature & History of Ideas, July 2020. Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3 (& The University of Georgia). High Distinction.
- BA English Linguistics, Literature & Culture, July 2017. Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3 (& The University of Liverpool). First-class Honours.
- April 2019 - July 2019: Early Years Teaching Assistant at Dailloux Kindergarten. (Part-time fixed-term contract).
- Sept. 2018 - June 2019: Lecturer - English as a Foreign Language at Amos Sport Business School, Lyon, France. I designed and taught the following undergraduate modules: 'English for Academic Purposes' (EAP) and 'The Discourse of Sports Marketing'. (Part-time fixed-term contract).
- Oct. 2017 - June 2018: Teaching Assistant - French as a Foreign Language at Sir Thomas Rich's School, Gloucester, UK. (Part-time fixed-term contract).
- Sept. 2018 - June 2019: Prison Education Coordinator at Genepi Lyon (voluntary work). I had a lead role in designing the courses 'Literacy through Creative Writing' and 'An Introduction to French Children's Literature', which were due to be implemented in 2020 in one youth detention center based in Lyon (l'Etablissement Pénitentiaire pour Mineurs de Meyzieu). Their implementation has been delayed due to Covid-19.
- Oct. 2017 - June 2018: After-School Club Assistant at Leckhampton Church of England Primary School with Child's Play Club UK. (Part-time fixed-term contract).
- Oct. 2016 - June 2017: Private Literacy Tutor for a child with SEN.
Awards & Funding
- Sept. 2020 - August 2024: Collaborative Doctoral Award, Birmingham City University & Writing West Midlands. Fully funded (fees and stipend) by Midlands 4 Cities, Arts and Humanities Research Council.
- July 2020: 'Major de Promotion' / Highest-achieving student, School of English, Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3.
- July 2019 - December 2019: Visiting student at The University of Georgia (USA). Fully funded (fees and stipend) by the Aide à la Mobilité Internationale (AMI), Explora' Sup and the Crous.
- Sept. 2016 - June 2017: Exchange student at The University of Liverpool (UK). Fully funded (fees and stipend) by Erasmus +, Explora'Sup and the Crous.
- July 2010: Merit Award for exceptional Brevet results (GCSE equivalent). 1,000€ per high-school year, funded by the Ministry of National Education.