Hybridity, Islamic Feminism and Fantasy: Constructing a counter-memory of the stereotypical Arab female in Arabic fantasy literature
Published short stories
'I'll Show you a Villain' - Little Book of Fairy Tales, Dancing Bear Books, 2019 (November 2019)
'The Next Dawn' - Litro Magazine 2019 (April 2019)
'Alraqs' - Post-mortem Press 2019 (February 2019)
'Alraqs' - The New Luciad 2018 (June 2018)
'Silence' - The New Luciad 2018 (June 2018)
'Ruhi' - Litro Magazine 2017 (October 2017)
Registrar for The Hidden in Performance, Virtual and Literary Culture 2021
Creative Showcase- Reading The Storyteller at The Research Festival
Conference paper delivered at Books in the Closet: Suppression, Censorship and the Book - In demand by fools and lowly ignoramuses': Arabic popular epics and Young Adult fiction.
Public Engagement & Impact
Tutor for The Brilliant Club's 'The Scholar's Programme'
- Designed university-based module inspired by my research and adapted it to KS4 level
- Undertook training with The Brilliant Club
- Delivered self-designed module on several placements including Moseley Secondary and Sixth Form, The Rawlett School, St Martin's Primary School, John Taylor Free School, Granville Academy, Race Leys Junior School.
- 80% of students received a 1st or 2:1 in Spring term 2023 with 39% of those receiving a 1st.
Masterclass with the University of Leicester - Claiming Our Unconscious and Re-remembering Our Stolen History, with Amirah Mohiddin
MA dissertation novel The Fallen Warriors currently submitted to editors at Harper Collins, Simon & Schuster, Bloomsbury, Penguin Random House, Macmillan, and Hachette by Agent Leah Pierre from Ladderbird Agency.
Other Research Interests
- Decolonising Creative Writing
- Arabic epic literature
- Female identity
- 19th century fallen woman and the angel
- Oral storytelling traditions
- Novel form
- Fantasy literature
- Contemporary literature- from children's fiction, YA, to adult fiction
Feminist studies association
Bath Children's Novel Award - Longlisted