The use of technology in freely improvised musical performance and its impact on performers, audiences and performances.
I am a practice based researcher using my solo and ensemble work to investigate notions of freedom, community and process in freely improvised musical performance. My research aims to:
- explore the collective impact on performers and audiences of using interactive music technology and sound spatialisation in an improvised performance
- provide a greater understanding of improvisational practices in this context, and analyse its significance and meaning for digital age music making and consumption.
My research will examine the collective identity of both improvisers and their audiences, impacting on the fields of jazz and improvised music performance practice, interactive music technology, sound spatialisation and audience development.
- stillefelt - stillefelt (Stone Lane Records 2020)
- With Brass - Gonimoblast (Stoney Lane Records 2020)
- 6 - Gonimoblast (self-release 2018)
- Live with Maja S.K. Ratkje & Arve Henriksen - Gonimoblast (Stoney Lane Records 2017)
- From dust we came...to dust we return - Howard/Wiggan/Mapp (Static Caravan 2016)
- Flatland - Gonimoblast (self-release 2015)
- The Depths - Gonimoblast (self-release 2015)
- Darkness before dawnn (self-release 2015)
- Life in four parts - Paul Dunmall Sextet (FMR 2014)
- stillefelt with Jan Bang at Punkt Birmingham (2020)
- Gonimoblast with Maja Ratkje and Arve Henriksen (2015)
- Solo gig at Cheltenham Jazz Festival (2014)
- Paul Dunmall Sextet tour, recording and Radio 3 broadcast (2013/14) - Gonimoblast featuring Leafcutter John (2013)
- Buzzoig (commission for Jazzlines) featuring Iain Ballamy (2013)
- Steve Tromans trio, quartet & Octet featuring Ken Vandermark – Chicgao (2013)
- Rosie Kay Dance Company: Musical Director and bass for There Is Hope (2012/2013)
- Iceberg Quartet: Paul Dunmall, Mark Sanders, Sam Wooster, Chris Mapp UK tour (2011)
- Chris Mapp’s Gambol: UK tour (2011 & 2010) of original material written by Chris.
- Cheltenham Jazz festival (2016, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2006)
- London Jazz festival (2015, 2011, 2009)
- Generation Ladywood composer (2018)
- Oriel Davies Gallery, Newtown, Powys (2017)
- University oF Worcester, Musician in residence (2014 - 2017)
- Jazzlines Fellowship award (2014/15)
- Take V Artist development scheme (2009)